Welcome to “Favorite Fabric Friday,” where we introduce you to a Mood Fabrics salesperson in our NYC store and share his or her favorite fabrics of the week. Meet Eric Perryman of Mood NYC’s wool department. He knows fabric and he knows apparel design, so make a beeline for him the next time you’re in the store. Here are Eric’s favorite fabrics of the week:
Above, Eric with some of our beautiful glazed linens. These shimmer in the light and have almost a metallic sheen. Eric likes them for summertime special occasion dresses, including prom dresses and bridesmaid gowns. Shown here in maize, lilac and moss; each 54″ wide, $18/yard.
Now normally I don’t get overly excited about rayon jerseys, but when I touched this red jersey above I practically gasped. Trust Eric to find the most scrumptious rayon/viscose jersey around. Eric says he’d turn this red jersey into a Halston-style dress with thin rhinestone straps crisscrossing in the back. (I’d make a dress like this one by C&T Costello Tagliapietra, personally.) The yellow and green jerseys are equally cool. Each 54″ wide, $14/yard.
More about Eric:
- With Mood for more than five years
- Studied fashion design at the Illinois Institute of Art in Chicago
- Likes to design pieces that can be worn by a man or a woman, and look equally good on both
- Knits are his favorite fabric to sew, and he loves to drape (note to self: Get Eric to teach me about draping); he’s big into dyeing fabrics as well
- Favorite part about working at Mood is assisting customers with realizing their ideas. “I was lucky enough to have teachers who helped and mentored me, so I like to do the same with my customers,” says Eric.
Hope you enjoyed getting to know a little more about Eric and will visit him soon on our upper floor in the NYC store. I’ll profile another NYC store employee again next week, so be on the lookout.
• • • • • • • •
Mother’s Day is this Sunday! Here’s my idea of a perfect Mother’s Day present: The kids and husband do the laundry and other chores I typically put off until Sunday, leaving me a few hours of uninterrupted sewing time. Priceless! Enjoy your weekend and I hope you get lots of sewing time in too.