Wanna channel your inner ballerina….or maybe even Carrie Bradshaw? Well, I have a fun no-sew tutu that you can whip up in no time! Go ahead, cater to your inner fashionista and grab some tulle and satin ribbon from Mood Fabrics, and you’ll be ready in no time. Tell me what you think!
SUPPLIES: Tulle (I used about 20 yards), scissors, 1/2 yard of jersey knit, needle and thread, 2 yards of satin ribbon, tape measure, and a rotary cutter.
1. I wanted my skirt to be knee length, but folded in half the tulle was still too wide….so first I opted to stretch it out and cut off about 9 inches off the open end (not the folded side) all the way across.
2. After you do this….you are all ready to cut your folded tulle into 4-5 inch strips — feel free to eyeball it. (Note: I didn’t know I’d need so much tulle. I first bought 8 yards and cut it up into strips, but wound up going back for about 14 more yards just to be safe).
3. Cut a piece of ribbon about 4 feet long and tie it around your mannequin (Note: Don’t have a mannequin? No problem, just take a seat and stretch it around your knees).
4. Take each one of your strips and pull it up through your ribbon and mannequin to create a loop.
5. Pull the loose ends of the ribbon up through the loop you’ve created with the ribbon, and pull taught.
6. After you’re done adding tulle, now it’s time to create a faux skirt to go underneath. (Note: I cut a piece of my jersey knit about 13 inches wide and 45 inches long). Flip your tutu over and re-tie it to your mannequin, and begin stitching the “faux slip” to the waist band of the tutu.
7. I started my “faux slip” right at the ribbon closure, so I could end there as well. Once, I got back around where I started, I hand stitched the “faux slip” only half way up the back– that way I can get in and out of the skirt. Voila! You are all done, and didn’t need your sewing machine at all.
Brandhyze Stanley is the chief voice of Frugal-nomics.com; a platform designed to share with women how to live and look fabulous on a dime. A DIY girl at heart—Brandhyze has been featured on The View, The Early Show, The Today Show, InStyle Magazine, Essence Magazine, and MTVStyle. A Wilhelmina Model for the past a decade, with a Business Degree from Loyola University Chicago, Brandhyze is a Fashion & Style Writer and former Video Contributor for Newsday Westchester, and provides DIY content to the popular How-To Site, eHow. Brandhyze is a huge thrifter and a lover of all good deals, follow her on Twitter @MyFrugalnomics and on Facebook at Facebook.com/Frugalnomics.