Starting with the spring and rolling into summer…tassels and fringe have been everywhere from handbags to swimwear. I really wanted to experiment with the trend and added a small tassel to my Camo and Leather Clutch post a couple months ago. The tassel was such a big hit that I decided to kick it up a notch and thought it only fitting to create some fun earrings too. Mood has a collection of colorful tassels that really caught my eye. So, I opted for a couple of red ones, added a little animal print and a bold lip, and well….I’m all ready to go! Do you have any fun tassel/fringe accessories? Be sure to tell me how you wear them, below.
SUPPLIES: colorful basic tassel, e6000 glue, decorative end caps, straight pin, earring hooks, and scissors.
1. Remove two strings that are holding tassel together.
2. Line up individual strings over your finger — I used 60 per earring.
3. Take another string and wrap it around your group of 60 strings.
4. Double knot this string tight.
5. Take your decorative end cap and slip onto the string you just double knotted.
6. Add a small amount of glue to the very opening of your end cap. (Note: You just want enough glue to hold them in there, but you’ll want to be careful, because you don’t want excess glue seeping out on your exposed strings).
7. Gently slide the end cap down about a 1/4 inch onto the strings, just until they neatly gather together. Let this dry about an hour.
8. Slide earring hook onto one of the strings hanging out of the end cap.
9. Double knot the two strings to secure the earring hook.
10. Add a dab of glue to the knot you just created, for added stability.
11. Once this glue has dried, snip the excess string above your knot.
12. Trim the bottom of your earring to make it all neat and even. Ta-da!
Brandhyze Stanley is the chief voice of Frugal-nomics.com; a platform designed to share with women how to live and look fabulous on a dime. A DIY girl at heart—Brandhyze has been featured on The View, The Early Show, The Today Show, InStyle Magazine, Essence Magazine, and MTVStyle. A Wilhelmina Model for nearly a decade, with a Business Degree from Loyola University Chicago, Brandhyze is a Fashion & Style Writer and Video Contributor for Newsday Westchester, and provides DIY content to the popular How-To Site, eHow. Brandhyze is a huge thrifter and a lover of all good deals, follow her on Twitter @MyFrugalnomics and on Facebook at Facebook.com/Frugalnomics.