Do you have your Father’s Day gifts all planned out? If not, Mood Fabrics is here to help! We’ve compiled 5 quick DIY projects that are simple to make, and are sure to give your presents a personal touch!
1. Waxed Canvas Tool Roll/Apron
Tool rolls make great gifts for a lot of different people. They can be great for your basics like wrenches and screwdrivers, or even art supplies like paintbrushes.
Any sort of heavier canvas fabric would work fairly well, but this one was created with some Rag & Bone waxed cotton, which is both beautiful and practical. I also used some Wrights Double-Fold Bias Tape and a Dritz Grommet Plier Kit.
The sewing steps are simple:
- Cut two rectangles of canvas the height of your tallest tool plus 3″ and the length of all your tools laying across it.
- Fold the extra 3″ down on one of the rectangles. This will act as a flap to hold your tools in while it’s rolled up.
- Cut your second rectangle so it’s about 6″ high, or covers about 2/3 of your tallest tool.
- Trim one of the long sides of your smaller rectangle with bias tape.
- Lay your small rectangle on top of your base rectangle, matching raw corners.
- Trim the three raw sides of your tool roll with bias tape
- Place pins between each of your tools and stitch straight down along the pocket.
- Use your pliers to attach grommets to the four corners.
- Attach your leftover bias tape to each grommet.
Overall, this DIY only takes about 20 minutes! The coolest part? If you add longer tape to the top grommets, it can also double as your work apron!
2. 5 Minute Wallet
Everyone needs a wallet! And this one is so easy!
- Trace a credit or business card on the wrong side of some leather or vinyl.
- Flip the card over horizontally and trace it a second time, leaving a slight space between tracings.
- Cut a single rectangle around both tracings.
- Cut a second rectangle the same size, and trim the two top corners diagonally.
- Fold both rectangles in half, placing the trimmed one over the original one.
- Stitch the raw edges closed.
This project is extra fun since you can easily customize it, adding decorative stitches or different pockets!
3. Simple Bow Tie
Bow ties are a quintessential Father’s Day gift, so why not take it a step further and make your own? Find a full tutorial for these cuties here!
4. Felt and Vinyl Tablet Case
A homemade gift doesn’t necessarily need to scream “crafty.” With a heathered green felt and wine colored faux leather, this tablet case is nothing short of classy! Bonus? We have a full, picture-filled explanation on how to make it right over here!
5. Button-Up Short-Sleeved Shirt
Need a shirt to go with one of those bow ties you just made? We’ve got you covered! This awesome button-up, which was made with Simplicity 1544, has an entire post about it. Plus, it teaches you all about French seams!
So tell us – what are you making for Father’s Day this year?