Fall is a great time of year to design and create a wonderful wardrobe with a variety of textures and colors. I found this lovely Blue and Black Striped Novelty knit on the Mood website. No worries about availability, there are 142 yards in stock right now! So hurry.
It is beautifully textured with horizontal stripes that alternate between sheer and opaque. I decided to use it for my SewYourView November challenge project. The combination of the pattern and the fabric is spot on. The simplicity of the top and skirt allows the fabric to take front seat showing off it’s sheer and opaque stripes. I used Views C and D. The pullover top has a mocked turtleneck with gathered sleeves and cuffs. The pull-on elastic waist skirt is straight and falls below the knee.
This is the first time I used the pattern. So some adjustments were needed to make it just right for me.
- FBA using Sandra Betzina’s Fast Fit. Her FBA eliminates the bust dart that the standard FBA creates.
- Reduced the neckband by 1/2″. It still does not fit a snug as the modeled version. Next time I’ll reduce it by 1.5″ for a close fit.
- Swayback adjustment and slightly forward shoulder adjustment to correct the shoulder seam alignment.
- Added a centered back seam for a better fit.
- Lengthen the sleeves by 2″
- Tapered the cuffs for a more attractive look.
- I also lengthen the top by a few inches. But this was done on the pattern after this top was made.
- Cut my usual size at the waist and tapered below the hip to the hem. This change also produced a more flatter look and the skirt looks more like the skirt worn by the model.
With all of my changes, the top is ready to be “mass” produced for me only. Wink, wink. I just need to go to mood’s website to pick up a box full of knits.