I make a list of items I want to make each season and corduroy overalls were one of those items. Well, here it is almost the end of February and I just finished my overalls. My fabric is this amazing corduroy, Mood Fabrics’ stretch corduroy and it was so wonderful to cut, sew and wear. It also comes in two other colors which are very rich in color. My pattern of choice was McCall’s 7547.
I have made McCall’s 7547 before in Mood Fabrics’ linen and loved them. The pattern has front patch pockets and a side zipper, which is okay for the lightweight linen but with this thicker fabric. I saw a pair of these overalls made by Sew Journers and she added side snaps. I used her photos to help change my pattern.
For the front pocket changes, I used another pants pattern for the pocket changes. Now for the side snaps and the changes. To help with this blog post, I have a Instagram Highlight saved with a video tutorial of my changes. Go to girlsinthegarden profile and the highlight is McCall’s 7547.
- I needed to have openings on each side for the snaps
- The openings needed a facing for the front
- A double layer of fabric added to the back for the snaps
- I added these as facings
- The side seams were stitched to just above the bottom of the pocket and I added a bar tack at the top of this side seam
- The waistband was cut in two pieces, one for the front and one for the back, adding length for the facings and seam allowances.
- Two snaps were added to the side seams and one at the waistband.
This fabric was easy to sew and topstitch. I did use a press cloth to protect the corduroy and the nap.
My only other change was to narrow the legs just a bit and then I did go back and forth on long length or crop length. I ended up going for the long length, my unofficial Instagram poll was for the long length. I do need to try and work on the bib a bit, it sticks out from the body. The width of the bib is a bit too wide, I will try to narrow it for my next pair. You can see it in this photo:
Take a look at this fabric for any type of garment….. pants, overalls, jackets, skirts, this corduroy is so good. Happy sewing and happy planning!