My obsession with trench coats goes wayyyy back to my childhood and my love of Inspector Gadget, which is a cartoon character that wore a trench coat and could pretty much fix anything with a bobby pin. There was something so cool and dapper about this strange looking guy, and when the collar went up….oh forget about it.
One of the identifying factors of a great trench is a great trench fabric. I used this Theory durable cotton from moodfabrics.com that’s perfect for a trench (and also available in blue). It’s lightweight and great quality, it cuts sews and irons nicely.
Both jackets were lined with this twill lining.
I wanted to put a spin on a trench and remembered a Burberry trench from a few years ago that I loved, and created this one using Simplicity 2285 with the following alterations:
- Added 3″ to the width of front edge to make the double breast
- Added 1″ to the length of front yoke
- Squared off the bottom of the front of the pattern
- Remove 14.5″ from the length of the sleeve
- Added a removable undersleeve using Vogue V8841
- Added 2 15″x1″ sleeve belts
- Added 3 2″x1″ belt loops
- Added elastic at the top of the sleeve
Chandler’s jacket was made using Burda 141 02/2010 with the following alterations:
- Removed 9″ from the length
- Added shoulder tabs
- Added 1″ to the length of the undersleeve
- Removed 11″ from the length of the short sleeve
- Attached the under sleeve to the short sleeve
Shirt-Long Sleeve T-shirt