Creating my new DIY tumblr page has to be one of the best things I’ve done in a while. Since, I’m on it practically everyday, it is a daily reminder of all the DIYs I want to complete. Like this one.
This is the SIWY Jony jean and it screams DIY…and when something screams DIY to me, I move into action!
RIT black liquid dye (1 bottle from Mood Fabrics)
Salt (1 cup)
Mild liquid detergent
1. Weight jeans. 1 pound of denim calls for 1 bottle of RIT dye. (Darker dyes (black, brown, purple) call for one bottle of RIY dye while lighter dyes call for half)
2. Wash jeans to remove dirt.
3. Put on gloves.
4. Pour 3 gallons of hot water into the bucket. If the water from your pipe isn’t hot enough, boil water.
5. Pour dye into bucket and mix the solution well with your stick.
6. Place jeans into the dye bath to a point a little below where you want the dye to stop.
7. Clip the top of the jeans to the bucket.
8. Stir constantly for 5 minutes and add 1 cup of salt.
9. Constantly stir the jeans in the solution for 30 min to 1 hour. The jeans should only stay in the solution as long as the liquid is still hot.
10. When you remove clothes from dye bath, rinse in warm, then cool water until water runs clear.
11. Wash item in warm water with mild detergent and rinse thoroughly in cool water.
12. Let jeans air dry.
I’ve heard some horror stories with dying projects but this was my first time doing it and mine came out perfectly! Let me know if you guys try this. I can’t wait to experiment with other colors…oh the possibilities!
Candy Fraser is the fashion blogger of taylor & DEMOLISH. It is a fashion style and DIY blog that breaks the lines behind tailored fashion and destroyed fashion. For more information on taylor & Demolish, follow Candy on Twitter, Facebook, Google, and Bloglovin!! You may also contact her at [email protected]
“DIY Ombre Jeans” was originally posted as “DIY Dye Blue Jeans Black” on taylor & DEMOLISH here: http://www.tayloranddemolish.com/2011/11/diy-dye-blue-jeans-black.html
If you would like to submit an article for review to be posted as a Guest Blogger please click HERE.