We’ve made significant improvements to Moodfabrics.com. We hope you like them. If you find any issues please Click Here to report them.

Give Some Thought To... Linings That Pop

Look at this fantastic lining! Tsumori Chisato trench coat.

Just a quick thought as we head into this Labor Day weekend...

The next time you buy lining fabric for that coat or jacket you're making, think about using a print instead of a boring solid color. Imagine wearing the trench coat above and then flashing everyone with that cool lining. Sarah Jessica Parker, a Mood NYC customer, buys silk prints to line her coats because she likes the unexpected surprise of a print lining. I replaced the lining on a friend's J. Crew coat with a charmeuse print, and my friend says she gets more compliments on the lining than she does on the coat.

So instead of automatically reaching for a matching solid lining fabric the next time you sew a coat or jacket, consider a fun print. Here are two from MoodFabrics.com that I like:

302144, silk charmeuse
302132, silk charmeuse
Enjoy the long weekend, and happy sewing!

8 thoughts on “Give Some Thought To... Linings That Pop”

• Lola Stockmaster
    Lola Stockmaster August 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm

What a great idea...I have never thought of that. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Vicky

SJP sews? Wow I'm impressed!

• Ginger

What a great idea!

• oonaballoona

i had that blue/red/white silk charmeuse in my closet, in the form of a RTW tank top. now i'm wondering if i never wore it because it was meant to be a lining...

• Amy

I'm definitely a fan of surprise linings. I've put printed silk crepe de chine lining in two dresses I've made this year, have a beautiful print silk charmeuse for a jacket, and am currently eyeing a Mood silk crepe de chine for another dress. Do you think it would work well on the underside of a peplum, or is that too much?!

• Emily Tharpe

I made a beautiful Mardi Gras gown a couple of years ago. The print was the focus of the dress, but I decided to add some flair with the lining. I called the print "Tropical Zebra" because it was a blue silky fabric with a zebra print... LOVE THAT DRESS!!!!! I put a hot pink silky liner in. Adjusted my pattern to have side slits on both sides.... liner popped against the tropical zebra! Surprise linings are really awesome and with a little imagination, can be a showstopper!