Ruching and drawstrings, particularly those paired with knits, have been a huge trend this year and we’re here with a quick and easy way to add some of these details to your next project. Read on to learn how to turn the free Avelia Bomber Jacket pattern into this cropped athleisure dream! Need some fabric options? Check out Mood’s new Heracles Collection, which includes 29 vibrant colors of athletic mesh!
Purchase Materials Used Below:
All seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise stated. See chart below for sizing specifications. Note, this specific pattern is available up to a size 30.
First, Add Length to the Sleeve:
- Cut out the original sleeve from the Avelia pattern
- Grab some pattern paper and place the sleeve pattern piece on top and tape down.
- Once taped down, draw a straight line down from the top corners to the bottom edge of the original pattern.
- Decide how long you want to extend your sleeve for the gathers. For reference, I added 12″ in the blue sample shown. You can add more length if you want a more dramatic sleeve (or more width for a balloon shape!).
Next, Cut and Sew Your New Sleeve:
- Cut 2 mirrored, from your main fabric. *Note: in the steps listed below, the sleeve is not attached to the garment.
- Sew the inseam of each sleeve using a French seam. Start with sewing the wrong sides together at your regular ¼” seam allowance and trim. Flip right-side-out and sew a 3/8″ seam allowance to make a casing for the elastic.
- Measure the elastic to the length of the original Avelia inseam. If you want a more gathered look, do a shorter length in the elastic.
- Use a loop turner or a safety pin and thread through the casing you made. At one end place a pin at one end to secure it in place while pulling the elastic to the other end and securing. Staystitch each end in place.
How to Crop Your Jacket (Optional):
- Decide how much you want to crop. In the sample, I took 6″ off so it hits right above the natural waist.
- Cut the crop, but make sure you included your seam allowance.
- Cut your waistband piece to sit around your natural waist measurement.