It feels like winter is winding down here in New York City, which only means one thing: it’s time to start planning our spring sewing projects! Spring is the perfect season for a wardrobe refresh, and what better place to start than with a statement trench coat? I’m feeling especially pulled towards statement prints that reflect the changing seasons. Our Groove collection is the spirit of spring days personified. Reminiscent of Pucci, it features such an array of bold prints and vibrant colors, that it’s nearly impossible to choose just one!
There are so many things I want to make out of the Groove Collection, like our Melora Cropped Jacket and Aspen Skirt which would make a retro Clueless inspired ensemble, or our 1960’s inspired Kiri Shirt Dress with a statement collar. But for this week’s project we wanted to make a true wardrobe staple, one that could be worn everyday during spring: The Lita Trench Coat. We wanted to take it a few steps further though, to make it look like a truly one of a kind piece.
Purchase Materials Used Below:
- 5 yards of Mood Exclusive Pink Lizard Leap Stretch Cotton Sateen
- 3.5 yards of Lucidum Heavenly Pink Bemberg Lining
- 0.5 yards Premium Blush Silk Crepe Back Satin
- 0.5 yard of 3/8″ Gold Aluminum Metal Chain
- 1 spool 800 Champagne 100mm Gutermann Sew-All-Thread
- MDF238 – The Lita Unisex Trench Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
I added the following extra touches to elevate it even more:
- Made the pocket bags out this supple crepe back satin, creating an element of luxury. You could also line the entire trench coat with it!
- Added a decorative hanging loop, using this gold chain.
- Topstitched channels on the belt.
- Omitted buttons on the front for more of a wrap style trench coat.
The Lita Trench Coat Free Sewing Pattern is part of our unisex collection, meaning this coat is generously sized, so take that into consideration before sewing! I prefer oversized pieces, but for more of a fitted garment I suggest sizing down a few sizes.