Are you looking to elevate your beachwear this summer? Mood Fabrics’ Callisia Cover-Up free sewing pattern is guaranteed to deliver. I’ll show you how I made a few simple changes, to this cover-up to make it boho chic! Easily wear it over a swimsuit or to a fabulous poolside brunch! Allow the breeze to gently blow through this luxurious silk georgette as this floor-length cover-up glides over the sand! Cotton voile, silk chiffon make great alternatives. Wishing you beach goddess vibes all summer long!
Purchase Materials Used Below:
- 5 yards of Famous Australian Designer Coconut Milk and Chocolate embroidered dots
- 4 yards of Natural Crochet Lace Trim
- 2 spools of White 10m Gutermann Elastic Thread
- MDF152 – The Callisia cover-up Free Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
All seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise stated. See chart below for sizing specifications. Note, this specific pattern is available up to a size 30.
- I omitted the back neckband and front neckband. Instead, I sewed a crochet trim along the entire opening.
- I omitted the back waistband and sewed crochet trim along the waist to create a belted tie.
- I removed the bottom cuff to create a pretty bell sleeve opening.
- I sewed two rows of elastic to gather the sleeve at the center sleeve band.
To add shirring, thread your bobbin with elastic thread and sew as you normally would. Make sure not to cut your bobbin thread if your machine has an automatic cutter. Instead, hold the elastic taught as it’s being picked up through your machine. I also suggest sewing a few test rows on your fabric and adjust your tension accordingly. For a video tutorial, click here!
As another alternative, you can add 2″ to your pattern, create a casing and insert elastic for a shirring effect. Check out the original Callisia Cover-up post here for more information about adding an elastic casing to the sleeve.
Are you planning to vacation this summer? If so, I hope you add the Callisia Cover-Up to your wardrobe! Be sure to let us know in the comments below!