Summer is basically here and one-piece swimsuits are so hot this season! This lace-up trend is everywhere! Here is a great pattern from Vogue that makes adding this detail effortless.
For this swimsuit, I will be using Vogue Pattern V9192 Style B
Here’s what you’ll need: All tools and notions can be purchased at moodfabrics.com
- Swimwear fabric- I used neoprene from Mood Designer Fabrics product #309116
- Dritz 3/8” Cotton swimwear elastic (4-5 packs depending on your size)
- Paper scissors, Pattern scissors
- Measuring tape
- Heavy-duty thread
- Dress maker chalk or mark-be-gone
- Dritz loop turner-for spaghetti straps
- Lining- Nude shaper power mesh (optional) Product #: 111767
Prep- cut out patterns and elastic guides
- Discard front strap pattern pieces. We are making a cute lace up!
- Cut out fabric and transfer all marking from pattern to fabric
Step 1- Front
At side edge of front piece, base stitch and gather fabric between notches and small markings as shown.
Step 2- Pin with right sides together and stitch at center front. You can finish raw edges with an over-lock, or zigzag stitch.
Step 3- Cut 2 pieces of elastic for center front and straps. Use the elastic guide for measurement. Place elastic 3/8” away from edge, pin and stitch along edge as shown. Make sure to stretch elastic to fit as you sew.
Step 4- Turn the seam allowances in with the elastic. Stitch along edge to finish as shown.
Step 5- Front opening- This is where we make our adjustment for the lace up front.
- Measure a strip of fabric 18”x 2”
- Fold over and pin
- Stitch along side using 5/8” seam allowance and trim
- Use the loop turner to pull fabric right side out. This can be tricky, but be patient-you’ll get it!
- Place strap starting at bottom of neck opening. Pin and cut as you go. Criss-crossing as you pin. Repeat until you reach your desired “lace-up” height
- Stitch in place and trim off edges for clean finish
Step 6- Back. Cut 1 strip of elastic. Pin elastic along the curved edge. Stitch in place 3/8” away from the edge. Turn back seam allowance with elastic and stitch.
Step 7- Pin front and back together at sides and stitch. Press seams towards back.
Step 8- Cut 2 pieces of elastic for the armhole and remaining length of strap. Use your elastic guide for measurement.
- Place elastic 3/8” from edge and pin at armhole and remaining length of strap.
- Stitch elastic down at edge. Turn in seam allowance along with elastic, stitch to finish.
Step 9- With right sides together, fold tie ends pin and stitch. Trim seam allowance.
- Cut 2 elastic pieces the length of your ties. Place elastic and tie end together, hook and pull through using the loop turner.
- Pin each tie in place at back and stitch.
- Bring the top edge of shoulder strap to the back, pin and stitch in place.
Step 10- Bottom front and back brief- Pin lining to wrong sides of fabric and stitch in place. (I’ve decided to only line the bottom of my swimsuit
- With right sides facing pin front brief to back brief and stitch starting at crotch. Stretch to fit curved edge.
- Stitch together at sides matching notches and markings.
Step 11- Cut 2 pieces of elastic for leg opening using the elastic guide as ref.
- Pin along the entire length of opening. Stitch 3/8” away from edge stretching elastic to fit as you go.
- Turn back seam allowance with elastic and stitch to finish.
Step 12- With right sides together, pin bottom brief to top at waist seam. Match notches and all markings. Stitch to finish garment and you’re done!