Mother’s Day is fast approaching and if you’re like me, you left gift buying to the very last minute. For those who prefer a personal touch, this robe is a quick DIY that is sure to please. Give the gift of comfy style with this detailed Art Nouveau inspired silky cotton voile. The perfect way to say have a Happy (and comfy) Mother’s Day!
Fabrics & materials used:
- 3 yards Liberty of London Portsea Bittersweet Red Silk-Cotton Voile
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE PATTERN
Simply fill in the form below, verify your email address
and you’ll be sent a link to download our free Pattern.
I went with a light silk-cotton voile, perfect for spring, but robes can easily be made from a variety of fabrics. For a more cozy version, you could try a French terry or even a sweatshirt fleece.
- Stitch the front and back panels together at the shoulders. Since this is a lightweight robe that doesn’t call for a lining, I strongly recommend some French seams.
2. Next, lay your robe flat at the shoulders and attach the sleeve. Your sleeve panel should be roughly the shape of a trapezoid. The long side attaches to the main robe, like you see below.
3. Stitch along the sides of your robe, as well as the bottom of your sleeves, attaching the front and back of your robe. Hem your sleeves.
4. To form your hood, simply sew the CENTER HOOD strip in between each SIDE HOOD panel. Hem the outer edge.
5. Attach both ROBE LAPEL pieces at one of the short sides. Fold the entire piece lengthwise and sew it around the entirety of the ROBE FRONT/ROBE BACK neckline, attaching the hood in between both layers.
6. Top-stitch each pocket into place on the ROBE FRONT.
7. Hem the bottom of the robe, as well as the ROBE BELT.
8. Lastly, hem and stitch each BELT LOOP into place.
In about an hour, you should have a brand new chic and comfy robe, the perfect gift idea! What kind of fabric are you going to make yours from?