When you’re packing for a trip….you ever find yourself trying to wrangle up all your power cords to take with you? Let’s see….there’s my phone, computer, and ipod, etc. Well here’s a quick and convenient way to take everything with you! I’ve seen one of these even going for as much as $90 bucks, so it’s an affordable DIY you may want to try to make traveling with your tech gear a whole lot easier. Mood has a variety of leather to choose from….I chose a 4-5 oz veg tan for this one.
SUPPLIES: Leather, hole punch, 2 needles, sinew, nail file, blade, quarter, rotary cutter, leather cord, awl (I showed 2, but 1 with skinnier point works), spacer, and a straight edge.
1. Cut out a rectangle of leather with your rotary cutter, mine was 16 x 7 inches.
2. Use a quarter as a form to shape your rounded edges, as you cut it with your blade.
3. File your two edges to make sure they match and are smooth.
4. I made my pockets only 2 inches deep, so you’ll need 2 rows of holes on each side that match up when you fold it. So use your spacer and straight edge to create each row (you’ll finish creating the hole fully in Step 6).
5. Now it’s time to position the holes for your leather cord — I have 9 of them. My anchor knot is only about 1/2 in away, but the other 8 holes are about an inch apart. Use your straight edge and awl to poke a hole where your cord will ultimately go through. 6. Use your awl to fully puncture the holes for the pocket.
7. Punch those holes you created with the hole punch (you may have to roll the leather to fit through the opening). 8. Feed your leather cord through. You’re almost done!
9. Using a Saddle Stitch (here’s a video how to do that here), take your 2 needles and sew up both sides of your pocket. (Note: I burn the knots on the ends with a lighter, so they don’t come undone).
Brandhyze Stanley is the chief voice of the award winning blog, Frugal-nomics.com; a platform designed to share with women how to live and look fabulous on a dime. A DIY girl at heart—Brandhyze has been featured on Dr. Oz, The View, The Today Show, InStyle Magazine, Essence Magazine, and MTVStyle. A Wilhelmina Model for over a decade, with a Business Degree from Loyola University Chicago, Brandhyze provides DIY content to the popular How-To Site, eHow; and has been a contributor for the Huffington Post, Yahoo Finance, Super Money, Good Housekeeping, and Newsday Westchester, to name a few. Brandhyze is a huge thrifter and a lover of all good deals, follow her on Twitter @MyFrugalnomics and on Facebook at Facebook.com/Frugalnomics.