One of the number one questions I usually receive is How do I know what type of fabric to select when shopping online? I’m going answer that question in reference to fitted dresses with one word……..suiting.
Whenever I’m preparing to make a fitted dress, I go straight to suiting fabric and choose a medium/heavy weight fabric with stretch. You cannot go wrong.
This dress was made using this heavy weight olive green cotton suiting that’s perfection. (Other options here and here!) It reminds me of a heavier weight stiffer draped ponte. It has a 4-way stretch but also feels very substantial. It sews, cut and irons with ease.
The pattern used for this dress was my McCalls M7444 jumpsuit pattern with the following alterations:
- Added 5 1/2″ to the length of the bodice front and back
- Added 2 1.25″ bust straps
- Added a pencil skirt using my pencil skirt tutorial
- Added a back seam to the skirt
- Added an exposed zipper
- Added darts to the back bodice and back of the skirt (fit purposes)
Chandler’s biker jacket was made using this Burdastyle downloaded pattern