Spring trends will continue to be heavily impacted by the current pandemic. Expect to see sustainability, creativity, and practicality blossom along with the spring flowers this year more than possibly ever before in the trims and accessories department. Let’s talk about it.
3. Lingerie Inspired
Femininity at its finest tends to shine through lingerie-style pieces. We’ve seen the lingerie style tops continue to rise in the past few seasons, and this Spring, expect to see crinkled pleats, soft ruching, reverse seams, lace insets, and fabric-covered buttons finding their way onto lingerie-inspired pieces all across the board.
4. Over the Keyboard
- Earrings: You’ve probably heard of over the keyboard dressing suitable for zoom calls and other virtual calls. This term extends to accessories too. Delicate pearl drop earrings are the perfect choice for the minimalist, while waterfall beading will cater to the more maximalist category (complete with a chain-link necklace, of course). These accessories combine futuristic and retro aspects.
- Headbands and headscarves: Utilize those deadstock fabrics by creating vintage-inspired pieces like headscarves and jewelry pieces that fall into the over the keyboard category and nod to sustainability.
- Sophisticated slippers will get their moment at last. Like me, I’m sure you’ve seen your fair share of super fuzzy slippers. This upcoming season slippers are taking a more sleek and understated style with silky tassels, raffia, and pom-pom trimming.
- The square toe shoe is still on the scene, but now as sandals with a small heel and a strappy look complete with cushioned insoles for extra comfort.
- Retro Sneakers meant for sporty or stylish wear are colored blocked and complete with chunky soles.
Practical handbags are a must-have since the only bags most of us have been reaching for are the tote bags that serve as a catch-all for purse storage and goods that we pick up while on a run to the store. The utilitarian style of the shopping bag caters to the on-the-go needs of its wearer. An emphasis on quality bag materials (like leather) and modular elements are prevalent in the accessories realms, including handbags.
When considering trims and accessories for Spring it would do us all a little good to embrace unexpected playful elements. We’ve had to take the world so seriously lately, and fashion is one place we can still cling to to bring joy and happiness to ourselves and the ones around us.
Which trim or accessory for Spring do you think will be your go-to?