Year after year, Swarovski adorns fashion runways with timeless luxury and glamour. Now, you can add a bit of sparkle and shine to your already beloved jeans with a quick and easy DIY update! Creating this high-end designer look is easier than you think! I’ll show you how I created my one-of-a-kind embellished jeans that you can rock from season to season.
Purchase Materials Used Below:
- 2pc- Swarovski Crystal Rhinestone and Silver Shank Back Button
- 4pc- Swarovski Bermuda Blue and Silver Shank Back Button
- 4pc – Swarovski Aurum Gold and Silver Shank Back Button
- 2pc – Swarovski Crystal and Silver Metal Pear Cut Sew-on Metal Ornament
- Amethyst Hotfix Swarovski Rhinestones
- 2pc Multicolored Brooch
- 1 pk 3/8″ Gold Dome Nailheads
- 1 yard Italian Crystal and Gold Rhinestone Trim SS6/2MM
- 2pc Italian Red and Black Beaded Rhinestone Applique – 2.75″
- Dritz Disappearing Ink Pen
- The New BeJeweler Pro Universe
The first thing I would suggest is to play around with a few different layouts. This way, you can get an idea of where you want to place everything. Get creative, try out a few different options. Once you have decided on a layout that you like, lightly mark where you would like your stones placed. If you are a little more free-spirited like me, you can create your layout as you go. Just make sure your pattern is symmetrical.
Once I had an idea of my layout, I began sewing on my trim! First I started with the string of rhinestones crystal trim that I used to line the opening of my pockets. This worked great because the trim was able to curve along the pocket edge.
Next, I began to sew on my loose buttons appliques. I started with the larger appliques and buttons first. Then I began to build my layout using small studs and rhinestones to fill in the gaps.
Tips For Sewing Rhinestones and Applying Studs
Sew on rhinestones are held in place by metal prongs. As you sew them onto your fabric, make sure to loop your thread around each prong while sewing. Some rhinestones are sewn in a cluster as an applique with a mesh backing. If you take a close look at your applique, you will notice a thick threaded outline holding all the stones together. Cut off the excess mesh while making sure not to cut through the thread. Now you can sew on your applique! Heat transfer rhinestones are applied using heat. The best way to do this is by using the BeJeweler Pro Universe. This tool gets extremely hot, so be sure to read the instructions before using. It also has special interchangeable attachments to fit different size stones. This allows you to get in between those hard to reach areas!
Some of the larger appliques and brooches can actually be separated into smaller pieces. I used this rhinestone brooch to create 5 small clusters!
Care Instructions For Your New Rhinestone-Embellished Jeans
- Turn your jeans inside out.
- Only use a mild or delicate detergent.
- Do not use any pre-wash. If you have any stones that were applied with glue, this can cause the adhesive to wash away.
- Machine wash cold on gentle cycle
- Hang to air dry
- Once dry, check to see if any stones or trim need to be reinforced.