Velour will always feel like a go-to fabric choice when planning your holiday wardrobe. No need to second guess yourself! Velour is the perfect fall fabric! It looks elegant, feels soft and warm on your skin and drapes effortlessly. This 4-way stretch velour from Mood Fabrics delivers on all of these wonderful attributes and more. With several beautiful rich colors to choose from, you can’t go wrong. All you need is the perfect silhouette and Mood Fabrics has you covered with the Azara free sewing pattern.
The Azara top has beautiful full bell sleeves, a slim button placket, and a striking pointed collar. Beautifully finished with Italian Rhinestone shank buttons, you’ll look just as intriguing as a wrapped gift!
For our top, we decided to use the gorgeous moss color which gives the overall feel of a high-end piece. How elegant would this blouse look paired with a full-length pleated satin skirt? How about a fitted leather pencil skirt? Any way you decide to style it, you’re sure to turn heads.
You’ll also have a great timeless piece to add to your wardrobe.
Fabrics & materials used:
- 2yds: Moss Stretch velour: Product #: 320540
- 1yd: Gray Non-Woven Fusible Interlining: Product #322828
- 11pc: Italian Black Plastic/Rhinestone Shank Button – 18L/11.5mm
- MDF092 – The Azara Top Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
All seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise stated. See chart below for sizing specifications. Note, this specific pattern is available up to a size 30.
Here’s how to sew:
- With right sides of fabric together, pin back pieces together at center back and sew.
- Pin back to fronts at side seams and sew.
- Pin back and fronts together at shoulder seams and sew.
- With a low heat setting, neatly press open all seams.
5. Apply fusible to placket pieces. Pin plackets to fronts with right sides facing. Stitch into place and press open seam allowance. Fold back placket half way and press. Fold once more and pin placket into place. Starting in a ⅛” from the edge, top stitch along the length of the placket and press. Evenly measure out the placement of buttonholes and buttons by using pins to mark the location. Stitch buttonholes and sew on your buttons.
6. Apply fusible to collar and collar stand. Sew collar and turn right side out. Press and top stitch. Sew collar stand, turn right side out and press. With right sides facing, pin collar and collar stand together and sew leaving bottom edges of the collar stand open. With right sides facing, pin one side of the open collar stands to the neck and stitch. Fold under seam allowance on the top side of the collar stand, and pin as shown. Top stitch into place.
7. With right sides of fabric facing, set in sleeve and pin into place. Stitch and press seam allowances flat.
Using your desired seam allowance, hem the sleeves and bottom edge. I decided to use a small 1/4″ hem to finish my garment for a nicer delicate look. You’re all done! Make sure to let us know where you will be wearing your Azara top!