Who doesn’t love a good faux fur? I know I do! Especially when the quality is incomparable! Mood Designer Fabrics has a stunning medium weight Leopard Printed Faux Fur that is too good to pass up! It’s also backed with faux leather, so you get twice as much use! The faux leather backing is just one of the many beautiful features that makes it perfect for our next sewing project. When using faux fur applications, we almost always imagine up cute jackets and coats right? We have such an exciting take on this fabulous fabric! The Cassia Skirt Free Sewing Pattern is loaded with chic details like the contrasting faux leather waistband and over-sized pockets! We’ve also added a Faux Leather button placket which really takes it up a notch. You could pair your Cassia Skirt with a cozy turtle-neck using our Black Tubular Bamboo Rib Knit. You even could even style it with a crisp white button-down shirt using Ravello White Mercerized Cotton for a classic look! Let’s us know how you plan on styling your Cassia Skirt.
Fabrics & materials used:
- 2 yards of Brown and Black Leopard Printed Faux Fur Backed by Faux Leather
- 2 yards of Black Polyester Lining
- 5 pc of Italian Black and Gold Metal 4-Hole Button 40L/25mm
- 1 pc
- MDF097 – The Cassia Skirt Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
All seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise stated. See chart below for sizing specifications. Note, this specific pattern is available up to a size 30.
Although sewing with Faux Fur may seem a little intimidating, this pattern is fairly easy to follow and I’ll guide you step by step. Let’s get started!
- Lining: Sew darts at back and press toward the sides. With right side of fabric together, pin backs at CB seam and sew. With right sides together pin the right side of skirt lining together at side seam and sew. Do the same for the left side of the skirt lining, but pin at notched marking, leaving an opening for your zipper. Only sew side seam up to the notch for the zipper opening and back stitch.
2. Main skirt Faux Fur: Sew darts at back as you did for the lining. Trim dart to reduce bulk. Before sewing the center seams together, we need to shave down the faux fur at the seam allowances. This will help reduce some of the thickness of the fabric as you sew. See photo for reference. We’ll do this for all seams. With right sides together, use clips to hold center backs together and sew.
3. We are using the Faux leather side as the contrast fabric for our pockets. Prepare pockets by shaving down the fur at the seam allowance as mentioned above. Use the markings on your pattern to position your pockets and pin in place. Attach pockets to skirt fronts by topstitching 1/8″ away from the edge.
4. With right sides facing, use clips to hold in place and stitch skirt together at CF seam. Open seam allowance and finish as a flat felled seam.
5. Let’s attach our faux button placket before we attach the skirt front to the back. Measure, and while evenly spacing apart, mark the placement of the buttons. Hand sew buttons onto faux placket. Use clips and pins to hold placket in place at center front. Using your zipper foot attachment, top-stitch the faux placket to the center of the skirt.
6. With right sides of fabrics together, clip side seams together and stitch. On opposite side of the skirt, sew only to the zipper notch and backstitch.
7. Waistbands: We will be using the faux leather side of our fabric for the contrasting waistband. With right (faux leather) sides together, use clips to hold together and stitch at the right side seam. Open the seam and stitch down as flat felled. Now do the same for the lining waistband. Each waistband piece should be sewn only at one side, leaving the other side open for the zipper.
8. Now attach your lining waistband to the top edge of your skirt waistband. Trim seam allowance, turn and topstitch along waistband edge.
9. Insert lining to skirt and hold in place at the waist using clips. Leave the top of the waistband lining free, because we will fold over and slip-stitch it by hand.
10. Turn under the lining hem 1/2″ and finish.
11. Pin zipper to outer fabric opening starting at top of the waistband. Sew only to the outer fabric leaving the lining free. Fold over and hand stitch the lining to the zipper to finish.
12. Fold over waistband lining and slip-stitch closed. Attach your hook and eye closure above your zipper closure and that’s it, you’re done!
We’d love to know how you plan on styling your Cassia Skirt!!