As we see corsets all over the runway, why not add the trend to your athleisure wardrobe with Mood’s newest pattern, the Cedar Leggings? The laced detail on the sides of the waistband combine both fashion and function, as they allow you to tighten the waistband if needed. Plus, with a side stipe of mesh fabric, these leggings are breathable and perfect for hot summer temperatures and intense workouts!
Purchase Materials Used Below:
- 1/2 yard Mint UV Protective Compression Swimwear Tricot with Aloe Vera
- 1 yard White UV Protective Compression Swimwear Tricot with Aloe Vera
- 1/2 yard Stretch Mesh
- 3 pkgs Dritz Nickel Grommets Size 3/8″ – 8ct
- 1 yard .25″ White Elastic
- MDF306 – The Cedar Leggings Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
Note: All seam allowances are ⅜’’, and all seams are sewn with a stretch stitch unless otherwise indicated.
1. Print, tape, and cut out pattern.
2. Place the pattern on to fabric, and cut. Mark your notches.
3. Place a pin on the seam allowance for the front and back waistband facing. Cut a piece of elastic that fits in between the two pins with a little stretch. Once you cut the elastic, stay stitch the elastic to the top part of both facing.
4. Fold the side tabs in half and stitch the top closed, leaving the bottom open.
5. Turn tabs right side out and pin to the front and back waistband, leaving ⅜’’ gap at the top. Once the tabs are pinned, place the mesh side yoke on top, then stitch.
6. Repeat the same step for the facing, but without the tabs.
7. With right sides together, pin facing to front, matching seams and notches, then stitch.
8. Pin the center front pieces together and stitch.
9. Pin right sides together and sew the center back seam.
10. Pin your side panel to the back leg and stitch. Once stitched, use the longest stitch length on your machine and stitch down the seam allowance away from the mesh side panel.
11. Next, pin the side panel to the front of your pant leg. Once sewn, topstitch the side seam like you did in the last step.
12. Matching the crotch seam, pin the inseam and stitch.
13. With the right sides together, pin and sew your waistband, matching side seams.
14. Mark your grommets section 1’’ apart and put grommets in.
15. Cut strings 1’’ wide. Pin string in half and sew at ⅜’’, using the longest stitch length on your machine. Turn the right side out and edge stitch the string. Lastly, knot the ends.
16. Do a double fold hem of ⅜’’, and then ⅜’’ again. Stitch using a stretch stitch.
17. Get to the gym and enjoy your new pair of amazing leggings!