How often do you try something new and exciting with fashion? I almost always play it safe when it comes to my personal style, but I find that adding statement pieces a little at a time seems to work for me. Start with a familiar silhouette then add unique details to help you step out of your comfort zone. The Douglas Pants free sewing pattern is the perfect example! Here we have a lovely fitted high-waisted dress pant that would be flattering on anyone! What makes it a statement piece is the ruffle trim sewn almost seamlessly into the pockets and waist! Talk about making an entrance! Sometimes you just have to go for it! All you need is a classic fitted white shirt, either a crisp cotton button-up or knit to complete the look! We’d love to hear how you style your Douglas Pants!
All seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise stated. See chart below for sizing specifications. Note, this specific pattern is available up to a size 30.
Here’s how to sew:
- Sew the darts at back then press toward the sides seams. Pin backs together at center back seam then stitch. Press center back seam.
- Pin fronts together at center front seam then stitch. Press seams open.
3. Now we are going to sandwich our ruffle trim along the top of the pant in between the pocket seam and waistband seam. Starting at the pocket, pin the trim creating box pleats and go all the way across the top.
4. Use a basting stitch and secure the ruffle in place. Use a pressing cloth and press the ruffle inward.
5. Pin pocket facing to the front of pant. Stitch in place. Now turn pocket inward and press. Pin the pocket to the pocket facing and stitch. Pin the side of the pocket to the side of the pant to keep it from shifting.
6. Pin pant front to back at side seams. Make sure pocket edge lines up with the side seam. Stitch along the sides and press seam
7. Pin pant along inseam matching front and back seams at center. Stitch and press seams.
8. Prepare waistband. Pin waistband to pant and stitch in place. Trim seam allowance and press waistband facing to inside.
9. Pin zipper to side seam opening. Fold waistband facing over zipper and stitch zipper place. Press under seam allowance on waistband facing and press. Slip stitch waistband on the inside. Press.
10. Hem the pant legs by using the stitch witchery and that’s it’s you’re done!