The Blazer dress is here to stay and I’m loving it! Not only has it been consistent as an ongoing trend, it has also continued to last throughout the seasons. Mood’s Fig Dress free sewing pattern will absolutely prove itself worthy of becoming a wardrobe staple. Made with Mood Fabrics organic cotton twill, the sleek tailored fit feels just as good as it looks! What I love the most about this dress has to be the faux welt pockets and self-covered belt buckle made in a contrasting pop color. These are the details that make any outfit a pleasure to style. Try making your blazer dress in a Cotton Sateen or African Print Fabric as another option. Let us know how you plan to wear your Fig dress!
Purchase Materials Used Below:
- 3 yards of Sweet Potato Solid Organic Cotton Twill
- 2.5 yards of Theory Pink Coral Radiant Polyester
- 1 Maxant Rectangular Buckle Cover Kit 2″
- MDF187 – The Fig Dress Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
Alternative Recommended Fabrics:
All seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise stated. See chart below for sizing specifications. Note, this specific pattern is available up to a size 30.
Find easy instructions on how to make a self covered buckle on the back of the buckle kit package! For tips on making welt pockets click here. We’ve included pocket bags in the pattern so you have the option of making faux or real pockets!
Here’s how to sew: (Work on your lining simultaneously)
- With right sides together, match notches, pin and sew the side front to the center front along the princess seam.
- Sew in the center back darts. With right sides together, pin and sew your center backs. Next, pin your side backs to your center backs at the princess seams and sew.
- Pin and sew together the shoulder seams. Press all seam allowances.
- Now, transfer your welt markings to the center front. Click here for welt pocket instructions.
- Next, sew your sleeves and set them in. Press seam allowances.
- Prepare your collar by pressing the fusible on both of the wrong sides. Next, with right sides together, pin and sew along the sides and top edge of the collar. Turn, trim seam allownce and press.
- With right sides together, pin your front-facing to the center front. Stitch along the edge ending at the notched collar. Now pin your collar to the neck opening starting at the center back. Sew along the neck matching the shoulder notches and continue across. Turn lapel facing and press.
- Now follow the guide for cutting the lining printed on the pattern pages. Insert lining and sew. Leave a small opening at the bottom edge for turning. Press.
- Press fusible to both wrong sides of the belt. With right sides together, stitch along edge of belt and leave a 4″ opening in the center for turning. Clip seam allowance, turn and press. Follow instructions on package for covering the belt buckle.
- Lastly, topstitch along edge of belt, lapel and collar. Attach buckle and you’re done!
Beautiful dress. Can I make this dress?
Hi Barbara! The pattern for this dress is available above. 🙂
This is an absolutely beautiful garment