Our next cosplay pattern is just in time for last month’s release of the newest Fantastic Beasts movie! Inspired by the character Newt Scamander, the Hydrus pattern is perfect for anyone looking to add a little magic to their wardrobe! We’ve added clever details like functional patch pockets with faux flaps, and a contrasting faux leather collar stand. Take advantage of this great pattern and make it your own! Or try one of Mood Fabrics’ wool coatings to make this an intriguing addition to your winter coat collection!
Fabrics & materials used:
- 4.5 yards of Italian Anthracite Faux Brushed Wool Coating
- 3.5 yards of Blue Nights Cupro Plain Dyed Certified Vegan Fabric
- 1/4 yard of Black Fashion Weight Faux Leather
- 1pk of Dritz size 45-1 1/8″ Half Ball Covered Buttons
- 1 Antique Brown Leather Buckle 3″
- MDF100 – The Hydrus Cosplay Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
All seam allowances are 1/2″ unless otherwise stated. See chart below for sizing specifications. Note, this specific pattern is available up to a size 30.
Here’s how to sew:
- With right sides of fabric together, pin backs together and sew down the center back seam. Press seam flat.
- Pin fronts to the back at side seams and sew.
- Before you sew the sleeve seams you need to attach your cuffs. Pin cuffs to sleeve opening then fold under top cuff edge and top stitch.
4. Finish sleeves by sewing the underarm seam.
5. After you apply the fusible to your facings, pin your facings to your front pieces and stitch. Turn facings and press. Sew shoulder seams and press. Set in sleeves.
6. Mark pocket placement on fronts.
7. With right sides of pocket pieces together, stitch along the edge leaving a small opening for turning pocket right side out.
8. Topstitch pocket and close opening. Fold down the top of pocket creating the faux flap and stitch in place. Pin pocket to coat and stitch in place as a patch pocket.
9. Pin faux leather collar stand piece to the under collar and sew in place. Apply fusible and press seams flat. Pin collar facing to under collar and stitch along sides and top. Pin collar to neck opening and stitch in place.
10. Attach belt loops to coat before setting in the lining. Set in the lining attaching it to the front facings and sleeve cuff opening.
11. Now finish up all the end bits like covering the buttons and your buttonholes. Use the guide from the package if needed. Complete the belt and hem the bottom. The great thing about the Hydrus Coat is that it’s a great base for you to make it your own. Whether it’s for cosplay or to rock as a statement piece!