Are you looking for that special something for Mother’s Day? We have a solution to your problem: a lovely, easy-to-make tote bag. It’s perfect for carrying all your essentials for a picnic, beach day, or your water bottle! Made here in a sturdy canvas and lined in sateen, this simple bag can be easily elevated with leather or vinyl!
Purchase Materials Used Below:
- 1 yard British Imported Multicolor Pears Printed Cotton Canvas
- 1 yard Pink Sea Island Cotton Sateen
- 1 yard Natural Cotton Canvas
- 1 yard Mood Exclusive Yellow and Vanilla Ice Celestial Radiance Stretch Cotton Sateen
- 2 Dark Wooden Handles – 4″ x 5.5″
- MDF253 – The Spirea Tote Sewing Pattern (free download below!)
Alternative Recommended Fabrics:
1. Sew the bottom seam with a 1/2″ seam allowance and press seam open.
2. Open the corner up and match it with the seam. Make sure the seam is in the middle so it will be the perfect corner. Repeat the above steps with your lining.
3. Put right sides together, leaving a 3″-4″ opening so you can flip it right side out later, and sew the lining to the outer layer. The top handle does not get sewn, it’s left open as well. (Make sure to backstitch each end.)
4. Flip the bag right side out and press.
5. Sew openings shut, then insert the two pieces inside each other.
6. Following the line from your bottom seam, pin the bottom first to secure the placement of the bag. (don’t sew the bottom of the bag that you just pinned)
7. Next, pin the bag pieces together. Topstitch on one side. (On the middle part of the bag where they meet, backstitch a few times to make sure it is secure.)
8. On the non topstitched side of the handle, fold over 1/2″, pin, and topstitch.
9. Topstitch the other side of the bag. On the middle part of the bag where they meet, backstitch a few times to make sure it is secure.
10. Tack the inside corner of the bag.
11. Fold the handle into itself and stitch 1.5″ along the already stitched edge.
Ooh! I love it! I’m so excited to try this!
I will be making thing for all in my family. I have wanted to send gifts to everyone instead of masks! I hope they love it