Purchase Materials Used Below:
Please note: our free sewing pattern files and photography are not available for redistribution or resale.
1. Cut out your paper pattern pieces, then cut your fabric and interfacing.
2. Interface all your pieces that need interfacing.
3. Trace and sew all darts, press.
4. Pin the center front at the rise and sew using an overlock stitch or French seam.
Here’s what the front should look like:
5. Now pin the center back seam and sew it together as you did the center front seam.
6. Press the center back seam open or to one side and fold the top edge of your back pants 1/2’’ down towards the wrong side and press.
7. Now fold another 2’’ down, press, pin, and sew along the bottom edge.
8. Mark 1″ above your stitch line and stitch again to create the casing for your elastic.
9. Sew belt loops. Fold the rectangle in half, pin, sew, trim, turn right side out, and press.
10. Cut loops to 2 ½’’
11. Place back belt loops. One goes in the middle and the other two are about 6’’ apart from the center. You can change the placement of the loops if you’d like.
12. Insert elastic into the channel. For the elastic measurement, cut a piece half your waist, but before you cut the elastic double-check it will go over your hips. Leave elastic pinned or stay-stitched on either side until you sew up the side seams.
13. Pin pockets to the front of the pants and then sew. Trim the seam allowance and press.
14. Fold pocket so that it lays flat, then pin at the top and the side. Sew the bottom of the pocket bag shut. Baste the waistline and the side so the pocket is secured in place.
15. Pin the front waistband to the front of the pants, sew, and then press.
16. Pin belt loops to the front waistband and sew.
17. Once the belt loops are sewn, pin the other front waistband facing to the waistband with right sides together and sew, trim, then press.
18. Once pressed, fold the raw edge towards the inside. Pin and slip-stitch.
19. Sew ankle tabs. Two are going to be sewn straight across to just create a tube with two raw edges. The other two are going to be sewn straight across and down one short edge. Trim, turn tabs right side out, and press.
20. Sew tabs into pant cuffs at the inseams with the fold side facing upward. Sew the outer seams with no tabs sandwiched in between. Note: these are not attached to the pants yet.
21. Pin pants at crotch seams and sew the inseam using a French seam. (If you want to serge or zig-zag finish your seams, you can do that as well.)
22. Pin and sew side seams together, matching the waistband using a French seam.
23. Sew the d-rings to one of the tabs by folding over one tab twice and topstitching.
24. With right sides together, sew the pant cuff to the pant matching side seams. Trim and press seam.
25. With right sides together, pin and sew the cuff facing along the bottom edge of each cuff. Trim and press.
26. Hand sew or machine sew the inside of the pants cuff.
27. Sew center back seam of belt and press open.
28. Pin and sew the belt, leaving an opening of 2″-3″ to turn right side out. Trim, flip, and press.
29. Sew the d-rings on exactly how you did for the ankle tab part to complete!