Has anyone ever asked you to teach them how to sew? Maybe you’ve thought about giving lessons, but don’t quite know where to start. Sometimes teaching can be very challenging. Not everyone learns the same way; don’t let this discourage you. If you are up for the challenge, try to remember why you fell in love with sewing. Sharing your positive experiences can help inspire others and produce rewarding results as you teach. Download Mood Fabrics’ free practice sheets below and a basic lesson outline to help you along the way. Happy teaching!
Here’s What’s Included with your Sewing Practice Sheets:
- Beginner: Trace along the border of the sewing machine! Go slow when rounding curves.
- Intermediate: Practice straight lines and pivoting corners!
- Advance: Put your hard work to the test! Try and navigate through the maze without touching the lines!
- Sewing Machine Parts: Practice naming and learning all the different parts of your Mood Sewing Machine.
Directions for Printing Your Practice Sewing Sheets:
- Enter in your email address for the free download and the file will be sent to that address
- Print and Start Practicing!
Start With The Basics
- Parts of The Sewing Machine: As you introduce all the different parts of the sewing machine, make sure to explain the important function of each part.
- How to Thread A Sewing Machine: Show how to properly thread a sewing machine for great stitch results. Explain what happens if threaded incorrectly.
- Sewing Terminology: Introduce sewing terminology as you teach. Sewing terms help us understand why we use certain techniques.
- Sewing Lines and Curves: Use the free downloadable practice sheets to show how to keep a steady pace when sewing. Demonstrate how to control speed. (Be sure to check out the link above for a step-by-step video with Helen Castillo!)
- Sewing Tools: Create a list of sewing tools and demonstrate the importance of each one. A lesson in proper care and maintenance will also be essential.
- How To Read A Sewing Pattern: Explain how to read the important symbols and markings on a pattern. Create a list or guide as a reference tool.
- Easy Sewing Project: Begin with easy to create projects. Tote bags, pillowcases, and simple garments are ideal. This will help gain confidence with minimal stress.
This is a basic outline that will work for teaching any age. Use it as a guide to help create lesson plans that work for you. You’ll be ready to teach in no time! Will you give teaching a try? Let us know!