Transitional pieces will change your wardrobe game and help you save some major coin in the long run. Use the free sewing patterns, combos, and style tips below to curate a wardrobe that will work all year-round. Plus, download our free Transitional Wardrobe Planner designed by Shavonne Cruz below!
Using the transitional patterns above, we will follow a few outfit formulas to create outfit combos that will transition perfectly during the in-between months from summer to fall.
Note: the following combos are apparel based and do not include accessories— however, style tips regarding jewelry are listed below.
Use the formulas below and keep in mind that all outfit combos are easy to transform from casual to dressy, depending on the style of garment used.
Basic Combos to Get Started:
- Casual A : Lavender Tee + Nolana Jeans + Willow Cardigan
- Casual B : Felicia Sweater + Ixia Leggings + Easy Wool Vest
- Comfy : Lavender Tee + Brya Pants + Nepeta or Willow Cardigan
- Business : Felicia Sweater + Nasrin Pants + Nepeta Blazer
- Dressy A : Lavender Tee + Indigo Skirt + Nepeta Blazer
- Dressy B : Sorrel Top + Indigo Skirt + Tansy Trench
- Invest in key pieces that can be styled for various occasions (ie. a trench coat or tailored blazer)
- Introduce darker colors and more fall colors (olive, navy, burgundy, mustard, etc.) into your wardrobe
- Start with base pieces
- They should not be bound to any particular season
- You will need base pieces for outerwear, tops, and bottoms
- Embrace Layers
- Pair longer tops with fitted bottoms to avoid bulkiness
- For summer to fall transitions, keep fabrics lightweight (linen, cotton, or chambray)
- When the weather gets cooler consider adding garments with heavier fabrics (tweed, wool, suede) into your rotation when needed (ie. coat/t-shirt or cardigan/summer dress)
- Pair tights or leggings with dresses for a refresh
**Finishing touches include accessories (shoes, accessories, etc.), but for our purposes, these styling tips are mostly garment focused. Flats, neutral-toned sandals, and sneakers are go-to transitional shoes as well as structured handbags and simple jewelry.**