Utilitarian fashion is the epitome of chic this spring as it continues to gain traction with the masses. It combines the practicality of workwear with the style of high fashion. This trend is perfect for those who want to look fashionable while still being comfortable and functional. In this blog post, you’ll learn more about the trend and some sewing and pattern ideas to bring it to your wardrobe.
What is Utilitarian Fashion?
Utilitarian fashion is based on clothing traditionally worn for practical purposes, such as workwear or military attire. The trend has evolved to include contemporary designs that combine function and fashion. Think corsets, fun prints, and non-traditional fabrics. The focus is on practicality, comfort, and durability, with minimal embellishments or unnecessary features.
As fashion and function collide utility-style garments include workwear jackets, work suits, cargo pants with oversized pockets, and accessories. Add a belt bag for the perfect touch.
Key Features of Utilitarian Fashion
- Earthy Tones: Utilitarian fashion typically features neutral and earthy colors such as olive green and brown colors. These colors are often inspired by military uniforms and workwear. However, the chic update for the season leaves room for fun colors like powder pink and lime green.
- Functional Design: Utilitarian fashion is all about practicality, with designs that prioritize function over form. This means that pieces often feature pockets, zippers, buckles, buttons, and other functional elements.
- Workwear-Inspired Silhouettes: The silhouettes of utilitarian fashion are often inspired by workwear, with boxy and oversized fits. This style is both comfortable and functional.
- Utilitarian Fabrics: Traditional fabrics used in utilitarian fashion are typically durable and long-lasting. This includes materials such as denim, canvas, cotton twill, and linen.
How to Incorporate Utilitarian Fashion into Your Wardrobe
- Cargo Pants: Cargo pants are a classic utilitarian piece that is both practical and stylish. They are perfect for a casual day out and can be paired with a simple t-shirt and sneakers.
- Utility Jackets: Jackets are another utilitarian staple that can be worn over a dress or paired with jeans and a top. They are both comfortable and functional. Both the Trillium Ensemble and the Olive Jacket bring style and practicality together.
- Jumpsuits: Jumpsuits are a great way to incorporate utilitarian fashion into your wardrobe. They have a workwear-inspired aesthetic and are both practical and stylish. The Taro Jumper, Heath Jumpsuit, Forrest Jumpsuit, and Cherry Jumpsuit are excellent free sewing pattern options perfect for this trend.
Utilitarian fashion is a trend that combines practicality and fashion. It is all about function over form, with designs that prioritize comfort, durability, and minimalism. By incorporating some of these key features into your wardrobe, you can stay on-trend this spring while still maintaining a sense of practicality. With the right fabrics and sewing patterns, you can create pieces that are both fashionable and functional with ease!