Jumpsuits are one of those pieces of clothing that I never wore prior to sewing. Not because I didn’t love them, but simply because they NEVER fit me properly. I’m 5’10 with a long torso, smaller upper body, and larger lower body. I have never encountered a jumpsuit that didn’t look absolutely ridiculous on me.
So when I started to sew, I knew this was one piece of clothing I would never get tired of making. I would make it my life’s mission to ensure it fit properly and was long enough to accommodate my frame.
Because I generally piece patterns together to achieve a look, It only made sense to create my own jumpsuit pattern which is what I did with my McCall’s M7444 pattern and use this as a base for all the jumpsuits in my future.
What makes this jumpsuit even more fantastic, is this wool herringbone suiting from moodfabrics.com it’s made with. It’s a structured wool with stretch………you can’t get any better than that. It is truly a beautiful fabric that sews, cuts and irons like a dream. Because of it’s 2-way stretch, it would also make a beautiful dress or skirt.
The patterns I pieced together to make this jumpsuit was the bodice to Burda 5/2011 #122B with the following pattern alterations:
- Fully faced the bodice
- Double stitched around the cups
- Re-purposed an old fitted bathing suit top with the herringbone suiting (which is what you see peeking out of the top of the bodice)
The pants to McCall’s M7444 with the following pattern alterations:
- Taped together the midriff pattern piece to the pants pattern piece to create a high waisted pant
- Added a 3″ band at the hem
The coat pictured was previously made here