Vinyl Fabric by the Yard
Vinyl Fabric is a sturdy synthetic material with a notable sheen. It is made in one of two ways, from a single sheet of translucent, plastic-like PVC, or from two separate components: a polyester mesh backing and a protective PVC vinyl coating, which are bonded together to create a durable and resilient fabric. The standout trait of vinyl fabric is its high resistance to moisture, stains, and wear, setting it apart from other types of textiles. Discover the potential of vinyl fabric, available for purchase by the yard.
For beginners, vinyl fabric can be used to make waterproof bags, simple covers for outdoor furniture, or easy-to-clean placemats. More experienced sewists can leverage the durability of vinyl for more complex projects, like automotive upholstery, professional bags, or clothing items. Vinyl fabric's unique blend of durability, resilience, and style opens a world of possibilities for creative exploration. With a little imagination and vinyl fabric, you can bring to life projects that are not only stylish but also enduring. Colorful, faux leather, embossed, or stretch vinyl materials are waiting to be sewn into something great!
- Item #: 325786Almost Sold Out! Only 1 Left.
Designer: Rag & BoneUsually ships within 1 business day$21.99 $13.19 / Yard
Vinyl Fabric is a non-breathable fabric that makes it ideal for waterproof applications. It lacks moisture-wicking abilities but stands out for its resistance to water penetration. Heat retention is not a primary feature of vinyl, which can remain cool to touch even in warm environments. With regards to stretchability, vinyl fabric has limited give, making it well-suited for structured designs that require rigidity.
Top Projects for Using Vinyl Fabric:
Vinyl fabric's unique characteristics make it suitable for numerous innovative projects:
- Creating outdoor upholstery for weather-resistant furniture.
- Designing easy-clean kitchen accessories like aprons or tablecloths.
- Crafting stylish, durable handbags, purses or rain coats.
- Producing waterproof covers for machinery or equipment.
- Fashioning statement clothing pieces for a striking look.
Advantages of Using Vinyl Fabric:
Vinyl fabric boasts several significant benefits:
- Durability: The combination of a polyester backing and PVC coating ensures long-lasting resilience.
- Water Resistance: Its non-porous surface makes it an excellent choice for waterproof applications.
- Ease of Maintenance: Vinyl fabric can be cleaned simply by wiping, making it very user-friendly.
Disadvantages of Using Vinyl Fabric:
Despite its strengths, there are a few considerations when using vinyl fabric:
- Breathability: Its non-breathable nature might not be ideal for clothing or applications requiring airflow.
- Flexibility: Vinyl fabric often lacks the soft drape of many other fabrics due to its rigid structure.
- Heat Sensitivity: It can be sensitive to high temperatures, which might lead to damage or deformation.
Alternatives to Vinyl Fabric:
If vinyl fabric doesn't suit your needs, you might want to consider these alternatives:
- Leather: A natural material that offers similar durability but with a different aesthetic and feel.
- Canvas: A robust fabric that is breathable, making it suitable for a range of applications.
- Polyurethane Fabric: A synthetic material that can mimic the look and feel of leather but is more breathable.