Do you have plans to visit our flagship NYC store for the first time? Sometimes the first trip to Mood Fabrics can be a little overwhelming, because you’ve probably never seen that much beautiful fabric in one place before. Just read the tips we’ve assembled here before you visit and you’ll be shopping Mood like a savvy Project Runway designer.
Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Closed January 1, July 4, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and December 25.
225 W. 37th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenues), New York, NY 10018
Mood Fabrics is located at 225 W. 37th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenues) in the Bricken Arcade building. Note that there is no sign on the street level as zoning prohibits this. Enter the Bricken Arcade lobby and take the elevator to the third floor. Mood occupies three floors in the building:
• 3rd (main) floor: Silks, laces, brocades, velvets, cottons, jerseys, trims, buttons and notions. Cash registers and bag check-in are located on this floor.
• 4th floor: Wools, suitings, coatings, tweeds, bouclés, wool knits, outerwear fabrics, linen, jerseys, spandex, faux furs
• 2nd floor: Home décor fabrics, trims and notions; leather and fur.
Tips for visiting
• Wondering when to visit? The store is less busy on weekday mornings between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are often a little quieter than the other days of the week.
• Because some of our aisles are narrow and the store can get crowded at times, all backpacks, totes and packages must be checked in at the bag-check station at the front entrance. We think you’ll find that browsing for fabric is much easier when you aren’t burdened with extra bags. Avoid waiting in line by leaving backpacks and packages at home. Luggage, carry-on bags, and oversize backpacks are also not allowed in Mood and must be checked in at the bag-check station.
• To protect the fabric from spills and stains, we ask that you not bring food and drink into Mood.
• Mood’s main floor is accessible by wheelchair. Upon arriving at Mood, please notify the front desk if you need access to the second or fourth floor and we will arrange it for you.
• Find a fabric in the store that you just love but perhaps aren’t ready to buy? When you do find a fabric you love, we recommend you buy it since we can’t guarantee it won’t sell out. Most of the fabrics carried in-store are designer closeout fabrics and cannot be reordered. Don’t let that beautiful fabric get away from you!
• Mood carries a full line of notions, as well as buttons and trims, so you can find everything you need in one stop. We carry Vogue Patterns as well.
• The minimum amount of fabric we will cut is ½ yard for fashion fabrics and 1 yard for home fabrics. Trims are 1 yard minimum.
• Swatch, the Boston terrier who is Mood’s mascot and a star of Project Runway, is frequently in the store. He is a very mellow dog who loves people, especially children. But, if dogs are not your thing, just let us know when you arrive and Swatch will go to one of his spots where he is away from customers.
Swatching our fabrics:
• If you see fabric you like and want a swatch, please ask one of our swatchers or team members to cut one for you. Customers are not allowed to cut their own swatches unless they have management permission. Swatchers have “I Swatch!” on their name badges.
• For those customers or students who need to collect a large amount of swatches, we strongly recommend you plan on visiting between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. when the store is less busy.
How to have a successful first visit to Mood Fabrics NYC:
With three floors packed with fabric and more, there’s a lot to see! It can be overwhelming for first-time visitors. Here are two tips to turn you into a confident shopper the minute you step into our store:
• Watch this brief video to get a quick overview of how to find us and what you’ll see once you get here.
• Download this project shopping list and fill it out before you come. This will help you be an organized shopper-with-a-plan. There’s nothing worse than getting home and realizing you forgot something!
By mass transit: Take the subway or bus to Times Square, Herald Square, Penn Station or the Port Authority; Mood Fabrics is only a few short blocks away from each. By rail, take LIRR, NJTransit or Amtrak to Penn Station; Metro-North to Grand Central Station and then take the S subway shuttle to W. 42nd Street.
By car: We strongly suggest you leave your car at home and take mass transit to Mood Fabrics. If you must drive, there are several parking garages within the immediate area. On-street parking is not usually available.
We hope these tips help! See you soon.