Welcome to “Favorite Fabric Friday,” where we introduce you to a Mood Fabrics salesperson in our NYC store and share his or her favorite fabrics of the week. Meet Michael Wayne of our cotton and knits department. He’s one of Mood’s newer employees but he’s already developed a loyal customer base. Below are Michael’s favorite fabrics in the cotton area right now:
Michael thinks silk jersey is perfect for summer maxi dresses or skirts because of the way it drapes and moves so gracefully. The lime green silk jersey print that he is holding actually has more of a soft, watercolor appearance in person—it’s really lovely (54 inches wide, $30/yd). The coral and light green silk jerseys are equally appealing, and would sew up into on-trend tops and dresses (each 50 inches wide, $25/yd).
For coverups, tunics, and even lined circle skirts, Michael suggests cotton voiles. This voile print Michael chose looks perfect for a summer day with its soft pinks, peaches and greens. 52 inches wide and $12/yd.
Last, Michael gravitated toward this lightweight cotton plaid we just got in the store. It’s doublefaced! One side is a large print in gray, red, aqua and yellow with shots of metallic silver threads running through it; the other side is a large gray check. Michael envisions a cool shirtdress or shorts from this nifty fabric, with the plain check side used as an accent fabric. 54″ wide and a steal at $14/yd.
Can’t make it to the NYC or LA stores? Here are some similar options online:
- A graduate of International Academy of Design & Technology in Tampa, where he grew up.
- When he’s not at Mood, he’s designing women’s wear and is working on a new collection right now. “Downtown girl” is the vibe Michael wants his work to express.
- Favorite designers are Alexander Wang, Proenza Schouler, Balmain, Lanvin and Balenciaga.
- Plays the piano and sings in rock bands
- Likes the “great family feeling” that comes with working at Mood. Favorite customers to assist are fashion students working on their collections.